My middle child, my second boy, my cream of my Oreo cookie, turned six Saturday. What can I tell you about my boy?
1. He’s created his own world. The Nine-Nine world. It’s an amazing place with Nine-Nine Dragons and Nine-Nine Sharks. And the biggest, meanest, most evil in the Nine-Nine Emperor Dragon. Of course, it’s a world of bad guys. But I think of it like bad guys with souls. Or rather I’m hoping they are misunderstood creatures framed in the villain role.
2. Yes, he’s still obsessed with villains. Hoping to start loosening that obsession, we showed him Pirates of the Caribbean. Jack Sparrow is a like a villain and like a good guy. Nope, Tornado S liked Captain Barbossa. As a skeleton.
3. His favorite colors are red and black. Because those are bad guy colors.
4. His favorite movies are still Star Wars movies and cartoons. His favorite books are anything Star Wars. His favorite toys are anything Star Wars. As well as the Imaginatrix castles and knights and ninjas and dragons. We could build a town with a small army.
5. Don’t let the bad-guy obsession fool you. Tornado S is a sweetheart. He wears his heart on his sleeve. He’s sweet and caring. He’s gentle and kind. His teachers have all fallen in love with him. Tornado S could never be a villain.
6. He’s also top in his class for math. He is one of the most knowledgeable kids. He reads. Not that he has shown me, but he does it in class.
7. But his fine motor skills are woefully behind because he’s ambidextrous. He’s going to have a hard time next year if I don’t get him help this summer. He’s too bright to be held back, but his fine motor skills are very weak.
8. Tornado S is bright enough to learn that the fun activities we’ve been doing for the last two months are work in disguise. Work for his fine motor skills. Great. Just great. Now I have to find more crafts and activities for him to do for 20 minutes every day.
9. He’s growing out of needing a blankie for bedtime. He loves it dearly but half the time forgets to bring it to bed. My heart is breaking.
10. He does try to bring his big Angry Bird pig to bed. Because he loves the pigs because they’re bad guys. And he has a smaller one, but he gave it to Tornado A because he loved it and wants to be like Tornado S. So Tornado S sleeps in his bed with a big piggy and Tornado E.
Happy birthday, my little dude. Please stop growing so fast.
And if you want to read his birth story, it’s here.