You want to know what’s fun? Secret codes.
Breaking them. Learning them. Making them.
Why do you think the Rosetta Stone is so cool? It broke a code.
Why save up box tops or bottle lids for that cool decoder ring? Breaking a secret code!
So while I hunt down my old Cub Scout and Girl Scout Handbooks, let’s start with Morse Code.
1. Teach Morse code. For fun. Or until we need to use it to coordinate a defense against aliens because they are hijacking our satellites.
2. Make secret messages of Morse code on paper. “Send” them to the kids. Let them “send” them to you. I remember a short story as a code where the Grandma made people ring her door bell in a code. It was SOS in Morse code. Do fun ones first. Wait on the “do your chores” message for later.
3. Make secret messages in Morse code with Legos. Or blocks.
4. Make secret messages in Morse code with noodles. Break up spaghetti or use long and short noodles. Glue noodles on paper. Or string them on a string.
5. Make secret messages with beads. Make cool jewelry with a special messages or words.
More to come! Stay safe! Stay sane!
Leave a Reply